Posts Tagged ‘Translation’

  • Lessons learned from localization Part 3: Test and then test some more

    on Oct 11, 12 • by Patti Murphy • with 3 Comments

    Lessons learned from localization Part 3: Test and then test some more

    “Take nothing for granted,” is the mantra of every software tester. Add localization to the mix and the level of vigilance goes into hyperdrive. In the spirit of helping others avoid needless pain, I launched this Lessons learned from localization series. In Part 1, we explored documentation pain and coping strategies. Part 2 was development discomfort and solutions. In this final installment, we explore the lessons learned by our testing department, who are known for being generous to a fault, as in “here’s a PR for you, and you, and you…” For this post,

    Read More »
  • Lessons learned from localization Part 2: Development discomfort

    on Oct 5, 12 • by Patti Murphy • with 4 Comments

    Lessons learned from localization Part 2: Development discomfort

    Suffering is only suffering if you learn nothing. When you learn nothing and needlessly perpetuate suffering, that’s where misery comes in. We prefer to be misery-free around here. In the spirit of helping others avoid needless pain, I launched this Lessons learned from localization series. In Part 1, we explored documentation pain and coping strategies. For Part 2, I talked to Russ Sherk, a developer here at Klocwork, who works on our web tools and handles product licensing, to see if he was happy to share some of his survival strategies from our Japanese localization

    Read More »
  • Lessons learned in localization Part 1: Documentation pain

    on Sep 27, 12 • by Patti Murphy • with 7 Comments

    Lessons learned in localization Part 1: Documentation pain

    The big story for our Klocwork Insight 9.6 release was localization for our Japanese market. Prior to this effort, we provided a Japanese version that included a translation of a small portion of the documentation set. Since we’re magnanimous, we felt that others should benefit from our suffering lessons learned from this endeavor. Originally, I’d hoped to do a video for this entitled Crying While Localizing in homage to that fun meme Crying While Eating. But asking one’s colleagues to blubber on camera for minutes at a time while confiding their frustrations was a little too

    Read More »
  • Lost in translation

    on Dec 16, 10 • by Patti Murphy • with 1 Comment

    Lost in translation

      Do internationalization and localization take the fun and flexibility out of documentation? And here’s the answer: You betcha, sister! At the risk of starting a brawl in the documentation department, I’m going to respond  to my manager’s post about our new policy to facilitate the translation of our wiki . It’s a policy I refer to unaffectionately as the Stamp-Out-Fun-and-Flexibility policy. And yeah, I know that internationalization and localization are important to humanity and, um, sales. It’s just that making things more translatable makes documentation less agile and less fun. 1.    Wikis are agile

    Read More »
  • Translation woes revisited

    on Dec 14, 10 • by Helen Abbott • with 2 Comments

    Translation woes revisited

    In a previous post, I discussed the problems we encountered when considering translating our entire MediaWiki-based documentation suite. I talked about how to get content out of the wiki for translation, and then get translated content back to our users. In this post, I want to discuss translation and globalization requirements more generally, and how our small, agile doc team, working in MediaWiki, handles each requirement. Fulfilling these requirements results in lower translation costs and easier translation: Provide a medium for the translated documentation that accommodates text expansion Use preformatted styles Minimize the amount of

    Read More »
  • Wiki translation woes

    on Dec 7, 10 • by Helen Abbott • with 4 Comments

    We moved all of our user documentation from Author-it to MediaWiki a few releases ago. At that point, we translated only a part of our documentation to Japanese – the help pages for detected issues. For these wiki pages, we used MediaWiki language templates to display language links at the bottom, and we copied-and-pasted the translated text. For our most recent release, we expanded the translation effort. This meant more copy-and-paste – from the wiki to Microsoft Word, to send to the translator, and then from Word to the wiki, when we received the translated

    Read More »
Scroll to top